PDA

View Full Version : Power steering pump conked

iallen1@btinter
17-06-2010, 09:48 PM
My old mans Golfs, indicators conked out yesterday, the garage fetcjhed it and they have said it is more serious than bulbs, or relay switches etc, not sure yet whats wrong, also they rang today and sait the power steering pump has gone. In the mean time they dropped him a 10 plate 1.2 polo off, i nipped up tonight and had a good look around it and a drive, and i can honestly say the build quality is shocking, exposed wires under the bonnet, theyve done away with the gas strut bonnet arm and have got a flimsy metal pole, its a orange colour and theyve even stuck a orange circle on the underside of the bonnet to show tou were to locate it, there is white labels on certain parts under the engine sayiny made in polond or south africa, then the matt in the boot this has to be seen to believed, a little hole to lift the carpet up to get to the spare wheel, instead of the strap, the carpet boot liner is like tracing paper and has like a thick piece of board just under where the spare wheel is, the saeta are uncomye, its totally naff, i thing vw are cutting corners

Crasher
17-06-2010, 09:56 PM
That’s worrying, the Golf 6 does not have a power steering pump, it has an electric rack.

The 5 door 6R Polo is built in South Africa and in my opinion is a step up in quality from the previous polo 9N3. You should see the quality of some fittings on my wife’s 2007 Polo GTI, very low quality compared to a Golf. I am just glad we did not pay £16K for it like the previous owner did. Mind you 9N was step up in quality compared to the 1999 6N 16v we bought new, they were quite shockingly poor, especially the carpet quality and for £13K you expected more. The new 6R is a nice car though; I must get around to trying one. Incidentally The 3 door is made in Spain and the 5 door in South Africa.

percymon
18-06-2010, 03:29 PM
My old mans Golfs, indicators conked out yesterday, the garage fetcjhed it and they have said it is more serious than bulbs, or relay switches etc, not sure yet whats wrong, also they rang today and sait the power steering pump has gone. In the mean time they dropped him a 10 plate 1.2 polo off, i nipped up tonight and had a good look around it and a drive, and i can honestly say the build quality is shocking, exposed wires under the bonnet, theyve done away with the gas strut bonnet arm and have got a flimsy metal pole, its a orange colour and theyve even stuck a orange circle on the underside of the bonnet to show tou were to locate it, there is white labels on certain parts under the engine sayiny made in polond or south africa, then the matt in the boot this has to be seen to believed, a little hole to lift the carpet up to get to the spare wheel, instead of the strap, the carpet boot liner is like tracing paper and has like a thick piece of board just under where the spare wheel is, the saeta are uncomye, its totally naff, i thing vw are cutting corners

Suggest you go look at the competition then, because you'll be even less impressed by Ford Fiesta (more expensive) , Toyota Yaris (most built in France these days with shocking quality),and the likes of Hyundai and Kia aren't yet up to the quality of materials in the cabin in particular. I'm not syaing there aren't cost sutting measures on VWs and Audis, but to complain about a metal rod to hold open the bonnet (rather than a gas strut that will weaken over time) is a bit petty IMO

iallen1@btinter
18-06-2010, 05:24 PM
Ive got a MK 6 1.4 tsi myself and am not anti VW, but why change from a gas strut to a metal rod, the fiesta indeed is naff i agree, it just seems the new polo has gone backwards

vc-10
18-06-2010, 08:54 PM
Erm.... because it's a good £2k less than the competition, better built, doesn't look like Lady Gaga (Fiesta) or an armadillo (Corsa), has a cabin that is lovely for a cheap car like the Polo and drives superbly.

The gas strut is useful, but mine's going and needs quite a bit of help to get it up. The boot floor mat is exactly the same except the hole vs. the little tag. I agree that the 9n looks a little more professional under the bonnet, with the big plastic cover over the engine, but what's the point of it? Just extra cost and weight IMO.

Crasher
18-06-2010, 11:01 PM
They haven’t changed to a metal rod, the previous Polo did not have gas struts for the bonnet. Some VW’s have gone to metal rods though. I must admit I do like the gas struts being a mechanic but they are a pain when they fail.

vc-10
18-06-2010, 11:02 PM
Mine does crasher... was it something they changed from the 9n to the 9n3?

Crasher
18-06-2010, 11:04 PM
Just been out to my wife’s 2007 9N3 GTI and it has a rod and on ETKA it shows a strut but the price is for a rod.

Crasher
18-06-2010, 11:08 PM
9N1 had a gas filled strut, 9N3 was a rod.

The 6R is still a quality car though.