PDA

View Full Version : ATF fluid change for A4 TDI

MarkEd
14-06-2010, 06:36 PM
Hi all, new to the site, in fact need some advice before buying! So here goes -
looking at buying an Audi A4 TDI avant multitronic, 56 reg with SH, apart from ATF hasn't been changed at the recommended 40k miles, car has now done circa 64k. How detrimental is that? Are these gearboxes temperamental at all? Car's around the £10k mark so need to be sure (cos I'll have no more money left after the purchase!). Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks, Mark.

a8 tech
14-06-2010, 07:13 PM
You need to change the atf and its around 5 litres at £11 a litre.
Contaminate like glycol amongst others can cause damage to the gearbox plus the swarf build up in the oil will do no good so drain and refill asap.
No filter just a straight oil change taking around 1 hour and you need vag com to to accurately measure the correct oil amount filled to atf temperature

MarkEd
14-06-2010, 07:37 PM
Thanks for quick reply.
As I mentioned, I've not bought the car, but going for test drive tomorrow (from private seller).
Could there be lasting damage to gearbox as atf has not been changed and car has done 64k? If so, what do I need to look for during test drive?

Cheers, Mark.

a8 tech
14-06-2010, 07:45 PM
Test from cold and look for big delays from standstill or juddering at junctions but to be honest the box was sorted out in b7 platform with far less problems than b6
Also check for any clanking noises when cranking as the flywheel develops free play

MarkEd
14-06-2010, 09:19 PM
Cheers, that gives me something to go on now.

What's the b6 and b7?

Just a thought, should I be asking these questions in a different section?

a8 tech
14-06-2010, 09:27 PM
B7 platform production dates 2005 to 2008 then we move to B8 platform.
B6 platform was the launch for multi tronic and suffered a few niggles which become expensive after the manufacturers warranty expired.
The the box suffered with the B6 platform and this was highlighted in the 2.5 tdi combination.
Common problems seven plate clutch modification, input shaft failure, control unit failure and so on but B7 revised the gearbox with far less complaints and costly bills.
B8 again has further revisions and I would say its finally found its place in the market as a reliable and seamless gear change.
As this is Audi's own gearbox they have stuck with iit and persevered until its finally improved and a joy to drive.

MarkEd
14-06-2010, 09:44 PM
If the box totally failed due to lack of oil change at the correct interval, what sort of cost would I be looking at to put it right?

a8 tech
14-06-2010, 09:52 PM
£4000

MarkEd
14-06-2010, 09:58 PM
Ouch! Guess that's main dealer. Is it a main dealer only fix?

a8 tech
14-06-2010, 10:09 PM
No thats for a new gearbox so most workshops can fit the box but increasingly there are some good gearbox centre who offer a full overall.
The gearbox is fairly easy to recon but one factor which causes lots of damage is glycol in the oil.
Glycol enters via coolant loss into the atf oil system and its not common but you would need to replace the oil cooler and flush out the pipes.

Dont get to worried, just get the oil changed and for extra piece of mind flush the system and change the coolant to g12 ++ which is less likely to form glychol

MarkEd
14-06-2010, 10:32 PM
I'd take it to audi to change atf, Derby Audi told me its about £145 inclusive of labour and fluid.

When you say flush the system, I guess thats the coolant? What price am I looking at for flushing and g12++ coolant? Is that the standard coolant that Audi would use?

Once again, thanks for the info.