PDA

View Full Version : Nearside Rear Window has stopped working???

nemo2182
04-06-2007, 12:52 PM
Hello,
I recently realised that my nearside rear window has stopped working on my 2000 S4......

I had the door card off last weekend to see if there was anything obvious that was causing the problem. After about 5mins playing I convienced myself it was the motor, as when i tried either of the two switchs I could hear a little click noise but nothing happened. I removed the motor from all the other components incase it was the lifing mech that was sticking, but again nothing. So to prove my theory, I took the motor out of the opposite side and tried this. Well this confused me as this motor did not work either, and of course the motor from the nearside door worked fine once connected into the other door???I checked what wiring I could see and this seemed fine, so I was just wondering if there was a relay or something that could of blown?Its doing my head in, as it does seem like the motor has a bit power going to it to make the clicking noise?Also both drivers side and switch on door do not work, so it looks like it isnt a switch issue either. Has anyone else had a problem like this?Any info would be appreciated.

Nathan

SRA4
04-06-2007, 08:32 PM
Hi,
did you try your n/s motor in the o/s to see if it works?? if it does then it's obviously not the motor. have you tried running the motors without attaching them to the regulator? it's basically a process of illimination...

Steve

SRA4
04-06-2007, 08:36 PM
sorry just read that you 've done all this already....sometimes you get it that the motor will only go up and not down, so you'll get a clicking or obviously visa versa. Have you tried swapping the switches over n/s to o/s ?.

nemo2182
04-06-2007, 10:03 PM
I havent tried that. Spose that should be the next step. Luckly I know someone who works on Audi's, but I wanted to eliminate every cause I could think of before he looks, this save his time and my money!Id hate to think what Audi charge an hour these days!!! I posted on another forum and someone replied saying it could be the limit switch??Apparently this is responsible for stopping the motor burning out if you hold the window switch down and the window is fully closed \ open. You heard of this???

SRA4
04-06-2007, 10:10 PM
Not heard of it called a limit switch. Sometimes if the window is broken it will need resetting, but as this is not the case i very much doubt it. I've worked in the windscreen industry for the last eighteen years. the only things i have come across is switch failure, motor failure or the fuse. If you say you're hearing clicking there's obviously power going to the switch, so rule out fuse. Switch or motor is the more common.