PDA

View Full Version : £250 Service Plan - is it worth it?

dwsugden
13-06-2010, 08:01 PM
Hi everyone.

I ordered a 3 dr Golf SE (now a Match) 2.0 TDI (140PS) at the end of April and if the last telephone conversation with my dealer is to be believed, it should have been built last week (build week 23).

My question is do you think the £250 service plan is good value for money?

The reason I ask is that I have no idea what the cost of a service would approximately be after the first 10,000 miles.

My curent car is a 1.6 Vauxhall Astra (6 yrs old) and I think each service cost me approximately £150. I can't remember exact figures because of course they are different each year as costs rise and bits and pieces need to be replaced.

So based on my servicing experience with my Astra, £250 doesn't sound too bad.

Are there any' hidden costs' to be aware of?

I envisage a milage of around 18,000 per year.

Any comments/experience would be most welcome.

Many thanks,
Darren

vc-10
13-06-2010, 08:34 PM
From what I've heard, it's a good idea.

Keithuk
14-06-2010, 12:19 AM
My question is do you think the £250 service plan is good value for money?

The reason I ask is that I have no idea what the cost of a service would approximately be after the first 10,000 miles.
Yes Darren I think it worth it only for the fact while its under the 3 year warranty it as to be serviced by a recognised dealer or someone that uses genuine parts. I asked the cost of a service and they told me its £150 at the moment, in 3 years time it will obviously go up.

Its still extorsionate just for an oil and filter change though.

dwsugden
14-06-2010, 07:56 AM
Thanks, guys.
Darren

spencerchappell
14-06-2010, 09:34 AM
VW seem to be doing a promotion at the moment where the Service Pack is provided at no extra cost (so long as it wasn't included as a costed item on the original order). In my case, I intend to use the regular interval servicing (every 10k miles) for the first three services and then switch to long life interval. As I'm anticipating only doing around 45k in the 3 years that I have my Golf, this should mean I get away without paying for a single service :D

Keithuk
14-06-2010, 12:26 PM
They also do a special Service Pack which gives you free MOT's for life. ;)

james_tiger_woo
14-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Just thought I'd add - my first 2 services came to a grand total of.... £200.

That was for the 10 and 20k services - I'm now on the variable service (which I should have been in the first place) so, in all honesty, I think that if the variable service is used and the "right" driving is done (journeys where the car is warmed up properly) then two services would be needed over 3 years and average driving.

What's the mileage limit on the servicing anyway?

Keithuk
14-06-2010, 12:54 PM
What's the mileage limit on the servicing anyway?
The 3 year service plan is every year or 10,000 miles which ever comes first, 3 years or 30,000 miles in total. ;)

james_tiger_woo
14-06-2010, 01:28 PM
The 3 year service plan is every year or 10,000 miles which ever comes first, 3 years or 30,000 miles in total. ;)

Ahhh - in that case, the £250 service plan would have cost more than the services that I have had done then....

:biglaugh:

percymon
14-06-2010, 01:46 PM
Based on 18k miles per year, and assuming the car is set to time n distance service schedule, then Darren will get 3 services at 10,20,30k miles for his £250 service plan. There will be no brake fluid change as by the time thats due the mileage will have invalidated the service plan.

I doubt you can get three services completed for £250, using the correct spec oil and filters etc, anywhere else. Even DIY servicing, the parts for 3 services would be £250.

dwsugden
14-06-2010, 02:19 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments. Much appreciated.

Regards,

Darren

P.S. dealer rang me this morning saying that the car has been built and is on its way to Emden (not too sure if its there already) to be shipped over to Grimsby. I'm getting excited now! :-)