PDA

View Full Version : Alarm in the night

tilup
06-03-2006, 10:39 PM
I can feel damp in the rear passenger footwell but my pollen trap is clear and my garage removed the plugs as they were blocked beneath the battery. I cannot be sure that the kids haven't spilt a water bottle.

I have replaced my rear wiper motor (estate) on my 99 passat and tailgate catch as the wiper motor was leaking heavily and I was sure this was causing the alarm to go off in the middle of the night,when it has been below freezing

It hasn't stopped it though and wondered how to access the CCM (ECU?) unit to check for corrosion. Can it be done without removing the passenger seat and if so how? A friend of mine paid VW £680 to rewire her car for an alarm fault.
At the moment I have disconnected the alarm as it is only the alarm and no flashing lights when the alarm goes off.
Tim

Sam
07-03-2006, 11:08 AM
I can feel damp in the rear passenger footwell but my pollen trap is clear and my garage removed the plugs as they were blocked beneath the battery. I cannot be sure that the kids haven't spilt a water bottle.

I have replaced my rear wiper motor (estate) on my 99 passat and tailgate catch as the wiper motor was leaking heavily and I was sure this was causing the alarm to go off in the middle of the night,when it has been below freezing

It hasn't stopped it though and wondered how to access the CCM (ECU?) unit to check for corrosion. Can it be done without removing the passenger seat and if so how? A friend of mine paid VW £680 to rewire her car for an alarm fault.
At the moment I have disconnected the alarm as it is only the alarm and no flashing lights when the alarm goes off.
Tim

Tim

Thanks for your email - I'll reply here as it should help other people in the future.

The CCM is located in the driver's footwell under the carpet - this is where most, if not all, dampness problems occur. Pull up the carpet, you don't need to remove the seat, just push as far back as it can go (it gives you more room to get in to the footwell!) and visually inspect the CCM.

From the problems I've read and seen, it's fairly obvious to spot a rusted wire.

As for the ECU, this is in the engine bay behind the firewall, and I suspect this is not at fault due to damp.

Hope this goes some way to helping you.

Sam

tilup
07-03-2006, 10:01 PM
Hello Sam,
Last night central locking, electric windows, interior lights all stopped working.
We had the CCM out and water was in the outer casing, it's going to be an expensive trip to VW I think.
Tim

Sam
08-03-2006, 11:34 AM
Tim,

Before you make that trip, let the CCM dry out and open it up to inspect it.

If you can't do it yourself, get hold of an electrical engineer (or at least someone soldering-iron savvy) and have them cast their eye over it.

No need to bring in the big boys if you can have a go yourself.

Sam

tilup
09-03-2006, 08:01 PM
My CCM was flooded and has packed up.
I went to VW and they have quoted £1375!!!
This includes £300 to dry the carpets

This is because water has entered via the pollen filter tray seal,a £25 part!
I will be trying to get hold of a second hand CCM as they want £500 for that alone.
Tim

Sam
10-03-2006, 09:04 AM
My CCM was flooded and has packed up.
I went to VW and they have quoted £1375!!!
This includes £300 to dry the carpets

This is because water has entered via the pollen filter tray seal,a £25 part!
I will be trying to get hold of a second hand CCM as they want £500 for that alone.
Tim

Wow!!

Try vagparts.co.uk for a CCM, it wont be second hand but I'm willing to bet it'll be cheaper than £500.

Sorry for your news, it's not looking good

Wookie
25-06-2006, 12:37 PM
Please do a search under Wookie for my posting elsewhere that deals with one of the causes of water leaks.