PDA

View Full Version : Knocking noise coming from engine

guymansbridge
11-06-2010, 08:02 PM
hi there! i have a audi a4 on a 55 plate! i got into my car this morning and started the engine,the oil preasure light came on along with the engine managment light! the engine started making a knockin noise like the sound of a fiesta with bad tapits. took it down to my friends garage and proceided to take off the cam cover to have a look, didnt seem to be any sign of the common sludge problem!

could there be a problem with the up take in the slump??? if so should i run a oil cleaner first before dropping the sump?? PLEASE HELP!!!

CHEERS GUY

matta4
11-06-2010, 08:08 PM
Is it a 2.0 tdi if so more than likely your oil pump has failed is it a BLB engine code?

guymansbridge
11-06-2010, 08:11 PM
its a 1.8 t we turned the engine over and oil was pumping onto the cams, but part of the cams were a lot dryer!

Lateknight
11-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Oil light came on.. took it down friends garage.. you mean you drove it? or did you get it towed? Iwould personally never drive a car with the oil light on. (or even run the engine if it sounds as gnarly as you make out.)

You don't state what engine in the car you've got, but as matta4 has said this is a known thing on BLB code 2.0Tdi (140ps)

oops didn't see your reply above ..I must be a slow typer

matta4
11-06-2010, 08:19 PM
You need to remove the sump and and replace the oil pump pipe and strainer the pump is usually ok .You may be ok if it wasnt ran for long otherwise it will be an expensive job it doesnt take much oil starvation to destroy the engine and turbo.