PDA

View Full Version : loud click from brake caliper

sbt
11-06-2010, 06:45 PM
hi all . i upgraded my brakes to 312mm from 288mm discs a few weeks ago everything as been great with vastly improved braking . but on my way home tonight i noticed a loud tap /click noise when i applied the brakes just one click and only when the car was moving if i applied the brakes when the car was stationary there was no noise . it just started all of a sudden as anyone got any ideas what this could be

mikeybutch
11-06-2010, 07:29 PM
Something is loose.Can you check which side it comes from if not check everything for tightness could be apad is moving in the carrier.

fourringsrus
11-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Maybe you have a sticky calliper slider,or the calliper could do with a clean

sbt
11-06-2010, 08:17 PM
hi thanks for the replies . i was very careful when i replaced the discs and pads spent 2 hours a side cleaning everything very well i put copperslip on the sliders the back of the pads and the pad sliders where they sit on the carrier . its only happening on the drivers side

sbt
12-06-2010, 08:32 PM
hi all . i checked the caliper today that is clicking there is nothing loose everything looks ok and clean so i have not got a clue what it is but its still clicking very strange

spartacus 68
12-06-2010, 10:24 PM
hi all . i checked the caliper today that is clicking there is nothing loose everything looks ok and clean so i have not got a clue what it is but its still clicking very strange

May not be the brakes but a suspension component. Assuming it's the brakes - could be the anti rattle pins aren't fully engaged.

Suspension-wise, either top mount, ARB link or tie-rod end.

Peter D
13-06-2010, 03:19 PM
If that caliper is single pot ATE then I suspect you have fitted the inner pads on the wrong side. There is an arrow on the inner pad which should face the direction of rotation. This biases the pad to rest on the upper guide as the spring is not centred. The wrong way then the pad lowers then when you apply the brake you get a single click from the caliper. Regards Peter

sbt
13-06-2010, 04:51 PM
If that caliper is single pot ATE then I suspect you have fitted the inner pads on the wrong side. There is an arrow on the inner pad which should face the direction of rotation. This biases the pad to rest on the upper guide as the spring is not centred. The wrong way then the pad lowers then when you apply the brake you get a single click from the caliper. Regards Peter
thanks for that they are genuine audi pads i never noticed an arrow but it makes sence are the arrows stamped into the metal or printed on .also will it be safe till next weekend

Peter D
13-06-2010, 06:25 PM
It is not a safety issue. Do you have ATE calipers. The arrow is stamped out of the mounting surface of the spring. Regards Peter

Peter D
13-06-2010, 06:31 PM
When you changed them did you have to use a 7mm allen key or two spanners. Regards Peter

sbt
13-06-2010, 06:45 PM
hi the calipers are ate 7mm allen sliders

Peter D
13-06-2010, 08:07 PM
OED and ATE pads have the arrow on the spring plate, some pattern pads had and adhesive label. Also remember to remove the out paf adhesive backing foil. Regards Peter