PDA

View Full Version : Question Weird limp mode?

arman123
11-06-2010, 01:37 PM
Ok was driving today audi a4 tdi BKE engine 115 sport and gave it some in third about 3000 rpm and all of a sudden loss the turbo no power very slow so parked up turned the key off and on and turbo back put it on Vag com and guess what not a single code tried to give it some welly to get the fault back and did not happen guy who put it on Vag com said probably had some carbon come off somewere and got traped in the egr and it probably stayed open for a bit
I'm just baffled as to why the car never stored any code had it happen to me before it was my turbo vanes sticking had it striped and cleaned so I know what limp mode feels like anybody had this problem with there car
maf is fine
n75 valve is fine
turbo good

dubgti
11-06-2010, 08:35 PM
Have the same problem I have 2.0 tdi touran it seems to happen when I go up a hill at speed. Still not found the problem and is happening more often no lights on the dash. Hope someone can help!

Alan02
13-06-2010, 04:47 PM
Fault code lost on cycling ignition on/off.

dubgti
13-06-2010, 05:46 PM
I'm going to take the turbo and manifold and the other parts attached to the manifold and give them a good clean. I've been reading that the vains on the turbo stick with the soot from the exhaust. This causes limp mode so the turbo and engine don't get damaged.

arman123
14-06-2010, 02:25 PM
ok people got some codes 16618 overboost looks like the turbo vnt are built up with carbon know have to look for a recon turbo fed up with cleaning the damn thing

muffster
14-06-2010, 04:43 PM
Hello mate, i had pretty much exactly the same thing on my Audi a4 TDi 130 over the last few weeks. thought i'd post this up before you pulled your turbo to bits!
I kept getting loss of power very randomly so i changed the MAF for a proper bosch unit and thought it had sorted it out, it hadnt so i had i put on a diagnostic machine.
I hadnt had any engine warning lights and the diagnostic only came up with codes from me disconnecting the MAF. No codes pointing towards lack of power. So the mechanic disconnected the boost pressure sensor and gave it a spray with carb cleaner of whatever. Then revved the engine back up and all the graphs etc began to look more healthy.
Since then, so far its been fine. Got to be worth a shot before you start getting into expensive labour charges.
Good luck.
Muffster.

arman123
14-06-2010, 10:22 PM
Hi was it the sensor on the intercooler pipe or the n75 valve just infront of the car by the radiater
the sensor you got cleaned was it connected with two schrews thanks

arman123
15-06-2010, 11:34 AM
Hi was it the sensor on the intercooler pipe or the n75 valve just infront of the car by the radiater
the sensor you got cleaned was it connected with two schrews thanks

Ok people something funny happened today tried to get the car in limp mode today to get a better diognostic test and it would not happen was going upto 4000rmp in 2nd and 3rd was hitting 70 in third and no limp mode tried every thing and would not limp looks like I had the car up to temp and probably vnt was freed up this is the first time I redlined the car in third and forth think I will take it for a long a road drive and thrash it even this time when I thrashed it the turbo was red hot when I looked under the bonnet hope this works and will save me a lot of cash

muffster
15-06-2010, 04:25 PM
The sensor is at the back of the engine bay just left of the centre. Its towards the bulkhead/scuttle panel.
Muffster.

arman123
18-06-2010, 10:23 PM
Ok people something funny happened today tried to get the car in limp mode today to get a better diognostic test and it would not happen was going upto 4000rmp in 2nd and 3rd was hitting 70 in third and no limp mode tried every thing and would not limp looks like I had the car up to temp and probably vnt was freed up this is the first time I redlined the car in third and forth think I will take it for a long a road drive and thrash it even this time when I thrashed it the turbo was red hot when I looked under the bonnet hope this works and will save me a lot of cash

dubgti
19-06-2010, 02:34 PM
Took my Touran apart to get to the turbo what a nightmare! I got the turbo off and found it full of carbon and the actuator wasn't moving freely now clean and back in. Took it for a blast and it feels like a new car and pulls really well, it had only done 56k I cleaned all the intercooler pipes and sensors. Hope this has fixed it.

twins50
04-08-2013, 07:39 PM
Hi there . We had same issue on our touran se 2.0 140 tdi pd--- not sure if this is a common issue across the range but wouldn't an off the shelf additive do same job of de carbonizing the turbo and vanes or is it a matter of getting hands sooty?:confused: