PDA

View Full Version : Please Help fan stuck on with engine off

repoker23
10-06-2010, 09:07 PM
Hi All,

I have a 2004 Toran 1.9tdi manual AVQ engine 45k, tonight done about 3 miles and when i got home i noticed the radiator fan stayed on, I waited 10 minutes and it was still on.

I phoned a mechanic friend who lives to far away to come to the house. he said disconnect the battery for 10 seconds and reconnect and see if that stops it.

Tried that and as soon as the negitive terminal was on the fan kicked in. I dissconnected again and waited about 40 minutes and this time the fan stop.

I have left it till tomorrow but can anyone tell me the most likely cause for this and is it a cheap fix

Thanks

repoker23

repoker23
11-06-2010, 01:54 PM
no one had this before.

martin1810
11-06-2010, 04:05 PM
It sounds like the fan control unit has gone wrong. I'm not sure where it is on your car. On some models it is on the fan frame or it may be part of the supply control unit under the dash. I am assuming you have twin fans with auto run on. If not then it might be something simple like the radiator temperature switch failing.

repoker23
11-06-2010, 08:36 PM
It sounds like the fan control unit has gone wrong. I'm not sure where it is on your car. On some models it is on the fan frame or it may be part of the supply control unit under the dash. I am assuming you have twin fans with auto run on. If not then it might be something simple like the radiator temperature switch failing.

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the reply...When I took the battery lead off last night it took 40 minutes before the fan stayed off. Car was ok this moring but i got an indepentant garage that i know to have a look at it this afternoon and they said it may not register any fault codes so didnt plug in...

Plus engine was still cold as the garage is only one mile from work and the mechanic says it would be best to get the temp up to see how it behaves ..took it for 10 mile drive and every thing seems ok...

Phoned the mechanic and he says it may be just a clinch and the fact i had the battery dissconected for 40 minutes may have reset the ECU.

And yes it does have two fans it was the one on the left that stayed on off/side (passenger side)

Anyway no money spent and will see if ok.

Thanks

Repoker23

frosty1979
27-06-2010, 11:05 PM
Have you had any more luck with this, as I have the same problem only every time I re connect the battery the fan kicks in again. It has got to the stage where it is setting the alarm of and even killed the battery last night. I have had a look round on the net and it is pointing to a faulty fan that needs replacing at around £200, just wanted to know if you had sorted it?

repoker23
27-06-2010, 11:25 PM
Hi,

When this happened on my Touran, I first disconnected the battery for 10 seconds and when reconnected the fan came straight on. I then disconnected for forty minutes and when I connected the battery this time everything was back to normal.

I did take it to a local independent garage and told them what had happened and they said that the diagnostics may not show a fault plus the car was cold the garage is only a mile away.
The mechanic said take it for a drive and see what happens (bring it up to temp), done 10 miles local driving and everything was fine.

The first thing he suggested was the fan temp switch (or at least that what I think he said).

Can you let me know how you get on in case it happens to my car again.

Regards

frosty1979
28-06-2010, 07:55 AM
Cheers, will keep you updated.

Any one else had the same problem or got any ideas as the car is undriveable at the moment, unless I disconnect the battery every time I park it up?

martin1810
28-06-2010, 11:31 AM
A cheap fix for now would be to stick a switch in the 12v wire. Then you can park and manually switch the fan off.

zombiebob
28-06-2010, 11:24 PM
Hi everybody, if you look on the club touran site, there is a thread about this and it is something to do with a resistor or diode that has blown causing the fans to stay on.http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Berisford
29-06-2010, 09:55 AM
I had the same problem on our Peugoet 806, had to put a switch in the circuit to use the fan on 'manual'.

On a very hot summer day I got caught in some serious traffic on the M4 and up went the temp gauge, it was too much for the fan as the gauge went past its 'normal' position.

However, this extreme had some affect on the system 'cause as it cooled down all was well again with the fan, it behaved as normal!

I can only assume that a year or so earlier the sensor had triggered the fan 'on' but failed to trigger it 'off'.

So you might want to run the temp up on the Touran and see what occurs.

BJ, Nottingham.

frosty1979
29-06-2010, 11:50 AM
Hi everybody, if you look on the club touran site, there is a thread about this and it is something to do with a resistor or diode that has blown causing the fans to stay on.http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Thanks for this but I don't suppose you can point me in the right direction ,as I have had a look on there and can't find it. I have also posted the same question on there so will report back any more findings.