PDA

View Full Version : part of the dashboard backlights going out (after 5 seconds)

Matt B
03-06-2007, 10:36 PM
A little problem I hope someone can help on:

I have 2003 2.0TDI Sport Touran and just recently I have had a problem with some of the dash board lights, the back lighting for the headlamp cluster (next to the ignition) including the headlamp leveling and dash dimmer, as well as the hazzard light ans ESP back light all go out approx. five seconds after I switch the headlamps on. The rest of the dash board and window switches are fine. If I switch the headlamps off then on again it is the same, they only stay on for approx. 5 seconds. It doesn't appear to effect anything else and is only anoying ans spoils the typical cool VW dash lighting at night.

Is it a relay or somthing simple, or is it a expensive problem that is best left alone and lived with?

Flash2
04-06-2007, 08:06 PM
I've had a problem like this before. It's the bulb failure circuit that causes the problem. When a bulb blows on a VW, the electrics control unit shuts the whole effected circuit off. Say someone tells you one of your tail lights is not working. What most folk do is switch the side/tail lights on and go to the back of the car and see which lamp isn't working and fit a new bulb. But the new bulb doesn't light up because the bulb failure circuit has detected a fault and disconnects the power. You have to switch the lights off and back on again to reset the bulb failure circuit.

I think one of your dash bulbs could be blown and its taking the bulb failure circuit a few seconds to notice the fault and switch the power back off. All the switches are lit by LEDs, so it's unlikely to be one of them. Does your cigar lighter socket and ashtray light up during the first few seconds? I think they will have normal bulbs so perhaps one of them is causing the problem.

Regards - Jim.

Matt B
04-06-2007, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the advise, I will check the ash tray light in the morning. I had my side lights on today (not sure why as it was sunny - habit I think) and the dash board lights in question stayed on for the whole journey (1 hours) sods law, they will play up again in the morning.

Andy C
04-12-2007, 05:54 PM
I am getting exactly the same problem on my Touran 2.0 TDi Sport that I recently bought.

I guess I better go look for the ashtray/cigar lighter bulb, any ideas as to how I get access to those bulbs?

Thanks

Andy
West Sussex

Andy C
10-12-2007, 02:29 PM
OK, I did the following:
Remove the two bristol screws securing the ashtray assembly on either side, the screws are behind the clip off facia that goes around the cigar lighter on the left and behind the oval shaped cover on the right.

Unplug the cable from cigar lighter and remove assembly (ashtray and cigar lighter.

Unclip black plastic retainer clip that shrowds the green plastic bulb holder.

Slide the green plastic bulb holder towards the back of the cigar lighter to remove.

Buy a replacement bulb (VW p/n 941QBU286DBL - approx £1.25).

Unclip the green plastic shrowd that surrounds bulb, replace bulb and then put everything back in reverse order above.

Hey presto, the dashboard backlight for the lightswitch, hazard warning, cigar lighter, ashtray and ESP switch now work as expected and stay on all the time the lights are on.

Thanks for the heads up on this folks.

Andy

:D

vw 4 lifer
30-07-2009, 07:10 PM
hello, i have a problem with my touran it is 1.9 tdi 53 reg dashboard lights go out after 5 seconds i have replaced bulbs including ashtray (now ashtraybulb works but is connected to lights going out after 5 seconds. lights still go out)
i replaced front side light bulb with new one it will not light up also replaced small brake bulb it too will not light up . and yet i still have underlying problem of dadshboard lights which turn off 5 seconds after i switch on.
the advice regarding ashtray change over were spot on but underlying issue of dash lights still affect me. please can someone help as i am desperate and in need of advice. many thanks jam.

vw 4 lifer
31-07-2009, 02:32 AM
hello, some goood news the dash board lights started too work 4-5 hours after i fitted the ashtray bulb thank god i still cant explain this but here goes the front side light and small brake bulb work now aswel but the bulb warning light remains on please advise.

patmcnamara78
27-11-2010, 06:18 AM
many thanks for the reply, i will check and come back in relation to the bulbs

RC01
09-01-2011, 03:12 PM
Ive had the same problem.

Fixed now thanks to this thread. Although I didnt get the replacement bulb from VW. Managed to find it at Halfords for £1.99 (halfords bulb number 286 12v/1.2w).

Cheers