PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed 2.0t fsi

delrington
08-06-2010, 06:18 PM
Hello
I have been a member for about 6 months but this is my first posting,
I have a 2007 b7 2.0t fsi with 30,000 miles, I bought the car from a Audi main dealer in October last year, after about 6 weeks and 800 miles the oil light came on, I took it back to Audi (no oil leaks)who said that it was normal but after reading some of the postings I took the car back after 600 miles when the oil went from max to min on the dip stick. Audi said it was normal, then after talking to Audi uk customer service, and then back to local Audi who then had the car for the day, and did tests and told me to come back after 700miles, when the oil had gone down to the min mark said they would renew the valve seals and the top end gaskets. I have had the car back about 2 weeks with work done, I have covered about 350 miles and the oil is half way between max and min so looks like the Audi is using the some amount of oil.
I have read that a oil catcher is made for the 2.0t fsi because of the oil coming back from the recirculation system.
Sorry for such a long winded question but do I take it back to Audi or put up with the oil usage or get a oil catcher, I have got to say that I love the Audi even thou I have had all the trouble (warrenty ends in October this year)
Thanks for your patience
David

a8 tech
08-06-2010, 06:24 PM
The oil consumption test over 1000km should not be more than .75 of a litre used.

More than this then there is a possible cylinder bore problem less than this is acceptable as per Audi guidelines.

The oil is drained completely then the correct amount of oil is then weighed and you run the mileage.

The engine is then run to temperature and left to drain completely then re weighed and subtract the difference to calculate the consumption

2.0 tfsi are thirsty buggers, this no defence but it is true

delrington
08-06-2010, 06:31 PM
Thanks for that, will Audi do a rebore or would it be a new engine, I dont know if I want them messing about rebuilding the complete engine.

a8 tech
08-06-2010, 08:00 PM
Bore wear is rare and they are coated so new block if this is the fault but only in extreme cases with excessive consumption would the bore or oil rings be considered.
Endoscope testing may highlight this but again I would be looking at well over a litre of oil consumed over the 1000km.

delrington
08-06-2010, 08:20 PM
Thanks again, is there anything else Audi could do before the warranty runs out.

a8 tech
08-06-2010, 08:33 PM
I can't comment on the dealer but I have just given you some possibility of worst case scenario and again only for extreme oil consumption.

Forums generate negative answers but again your consumption may be fine as these engines burn oil through out there life.

Try returning to time and distance service regime so you cover less miles between oil changes

Don't quote me when discussing the problem with your dealer as they will I'm sure repair if there is a valid complaint and the consumption can proven to warranty as per oil consumption test

stevemr
08-06-2010, 08:58 PM
I have noticed with my Passat that it uses a lot more oil in the last quarter of the variable service interval, how long since yours was last serviced?

delrington
08-06-2010, 10:01 PM
I would not quote anyone to Audi as I have learnt they will only do what they want, thanks for the advice

a8 tech
08-06-2010, 10:03 PM
lol to true

delrington
08-06-2010, 10:06 PM
I am on the 12 months 10,000 mile service and started to use oil within the first 1000 miles of service

allanmb
09-06-2010, 09:51 AM
Hello
I have been a member for about 6 months but this is my first posting,
I have a 2007 b7 2.0t fsi with 30,000 miles, I bought the car from a Audi main dealer in October last year, after about 6 weeks and 800 miles the oil light came on, I took it back to Audi (no oil leaks)who said that it was normal but after reading some of the postings I took the car back after 600 miles when the oil went from max to min on the dip stick. Audi said it was normal, then after talking to Audi uk customer service, and then back to local Audi who then had the car for the day, and did tests and told me to come back after 700miles, when the oil had gone down to the min mark said they would renew the valve seals and the top end gaskets. I have had the car back about 2 weeks with work done, I have covered about 350 miles and the oil is half way between max and min so looks like the Audi is using the some amount of oil.
I have read that a oil catcher is made for the 2.0t fsi because of the oil coming back from the recirculation system.
Sorry for such a long winded question but do I take it back to Audi or put up with the oil usage or get a oil catcher, I have got to say that I love the Audi even thou I have had all the trouble (warrenty ends in October this year)
Thanks for your patience
David

Ouch! I got a similar milage 3.2 and I have since done 12,000 miles. I have had to refill the oil just once in that time...

Nice But
20-07-2010, 09:50 PM
Just got my 2.0Tfsi with 100k on the clock but so far not seen a drop in level on the dipstick. All turbo'd engines I've ever had use oil so wasn't expecting anything diferent from this one.......... Try a rotary engine for oil consumption :D

what is a good oil for these engines? Was going to use Fuchs TITAN GT1 LONGLIFE III 5W-30 Premium Synthetic meeting VW504.00, VW507.00 from Opie Oils.... (http://www.opieoils.co.uk/)I always change my engine oil at 4-5000 miles anyway, force of habit.

delrington
20-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Car has been with Audi now for 3 weeks and they say it is using too much oil, they are changed the pcv and then doing a consumption tests, I know about the RX8, I do not expect a Audi to go from max to min on the dip stick in 600 miles.

Nice But
20-07-2010, 10:31 PM
I have to agree.... 600 miles is nuts, are you getting excessive smoke from the exhausts? I didn't think the 8 was bad.

delrington
20-07-2010, 10:37 PM
I do get a blue grey smoke and a friend said he thought I had a petrol and not a diesel, Audi do not seem to worry about the smoke only that the car comes within the 750ml in 1000 km or 620 miles.

Nice But
20-07-2010, 11:00 PM
Audi do not seem to worry about the smoke only that the car comes within the 750ml in 1000 km or 620 miles.

Jeez:eek:, hope you get it sorted soon.

I remember my old works van - Vauxhall Combi 1.4 DTi - had that sort of consumption. Worst I got from my 8 was 500ml in 1000miles and that was after a hard track day included.

Let us know what they did to cure it.

Tim

delrington
20-07-2010, 11:02 PM
I will do
Thanks

Nice But
22-07-2010, 10:50 PM
Any updates? I got a low oil light today....... Doh:smashfrea forgot to check, but car is new to me done 10K since last service but not sure what top ups were before. I will monitor now we are at high level and will clock mileage to low......

Hope you get sorted soon.