PDA

View Full Version : oil level too high 2,0 TDI diesel 140 BHP

martijn v o
06-06-2010, 08:33 PM
My oil level is too high. Cooling system is clean and coolwaterlevel is normal.
Somebody told me it could be the dual (tandem) pump.
I would like to know if it is a frequent problem with the BPM/BKD engine and maybe there is a recall.
Diesel fuel filter is clean, engine is running smooth no futher problems.

Crasher
06-06-2010, 08:59 PM
If the oil level goes up (uncontaminated with water) it is either a leaking injector or a tandem pump issue and I would suspect the latter. As far as I know, it is not a recall issue and you will have to pay for it.

a8 tech
06-06-2010, 09:30 PM
yep no recall and highly likely to be the tandem pump, also do not drive it as there is a high possibility it will cause engine damage

martijn v o
06-06-2010, 09:37 PM
To prevent engine damage i have refreshed the oil and changed the oil filter.
An appointment with the garage is made in about two weeks.
The garage is informed about the high oil level and we will see what the do about is.
The car is bought with 6 months warranty, so it can not be an expensive repair (for me :D)

a8 tech
06-06-2010, 09:47 PM
I recommend you do not use the vehicle if diesel is entering the oil it will cause engine damage and most likely it will throw a con rod through the engine block.THE TANDEM PUMP TAKE LESS THEN HALF AN HOUR TO REPLACE

martijn v o
06-06-2010, 09:54 PM
thanks. I will use my other (VAG -skoda superb) car to drive the two next weeks.
I will post the results after the repair.

doogham
26-07-2010, 10:20 PM
yes im another one of those people with this problem, i've got a 2007 a4 2.0 tdi quattro 170 and just had my car serviced today and my mechanic checked the car as he knew this was a common problem.He recons itll be £400 to fix it.Did anyone take their to audi? and if so what did they say?im contenplating getting in touch with audi uk and see if they'll fix it cause i'm only seven months out of warranty,cheers
doogie

martijn v o
30-07-2010, 03:48 PM
So far i know it is officially no recall.
Mine was repared bij de garage due to warranty.
I am checking the oil level since and it seems that the problem is solved.
The price of an new tandempump is 390 euro's incl. VAT and wil take 30 minutes to replace. You could try to suggest to split cost's each 50%.

For now untill the problem is fixed: don't drive.
Martijn

dexter76
27-09-2010, 09:13 PM
:confused:Help guys, I have a 2004 1.9TDI Bora 130 (ASZ) got a rising oil level - diesel in the sump, mechanic reckons its the injector nozzles, but being a diesel virgin, I need more info if possible.
Is it safe to drive or is this a major, oh yeh and the intercooler is split too!
Comes to something when you end up relying on the 1976 T2 as the main ride!!

Crasher
27-09-2010, 09:19 PM
No it is not safe to drive, diluted oil does not lubricate as well as it should which will lead to cam wear at least. If the oil level gets too high, then it can be ingested through the breather system and the oil is then burnt in the engine, which can easily lead to diesel runaway, and you will struggle to stop the engine with obvious catastrophic results. I have had two TDI engines run away on me and it was unpleasant…

More than likely it is the tandem pump at fault and I would recommend getting this changed and then monitoring the oil level from then on to see if it still rises. If it is the injectors, this can easily lead to needing a new head and four injectors.

Air cooled rules…:cool:

dexter76
27-09-2010, 09:26 PM
Crasher, many thanks for the quick response, is the tandem pump a big job or is it one to try myself, I'm pretty capable, but mostly on aircooled.....I was just about to put the crewcab away for the winter, but better not do now....thanks again:beerchug:

Crasher
27-09-2010, 09:29 PM
Quite easy to do as it is on the end of the head, takes me about an hour. I must pull all my digits out an extract the 72 1302 LS auto out of my garage one day and get on with the acid dip resto I have promised it.

dexter76
27-09-2010, 09:51 PM
Not wanting to sound like a complete tool, the other symptoms are flat spots at low revs (gear changes in particular) fuel consumption is way down from the 50+ mark and the amount of cack blowing out of the back end when you try and pull away (even gently) is quite alarming. When you put your foot down, it sounds like the exhaust is knackered or the CAT is drowning in something.
Given that this car has 95k on the clock, with full history and has done the last 60k+ up and down the A1, does this point in any way to the injectors, or should i stick with the tandem pump first?:confused:

Crasher
27-09-2010, 10:47 PM
It sounds very sick indeed. If the oil is diluted with diesel you have to start with stopping that and the first step is a new tandem pump as changing the injector seals can get very complicated even if the injector bores and bodies are not suffering from wear.

martijn v o
02-04-2011, 09:00 PM
Last week i have changed the tandem pump again due to high oil level. Because the engine was having problems sometimes to start within 2 seconds or so i have inspected the fuel pump in the fuel tank. The pump was not working. So i changed this pomp also. i suspect that the tandempump was damaged because the fuel pump was not working properly. We will monitor the oil level closely and see.

martijn v o
28-11-2014, 10:54 PM
Since the replacement of both pumps, the oil level doesn't rise anymore.